Unité de Malherbologie & Agronomie
Weed Science & Agronomy
Bayer Code : pandi
Synonym(s) of Sc. name:
Classification: Gramineae, Monocotyledonous
Common name: fall panicum
Synonym(s) of Common name:
Name per country: ES : mijo ; FR : panic dichotomique ; IT : panico delle risai ; PT : ; EN : fall panicum ;
Biological type: Annual
- Shoot rolled, leaf sheath terete.
- Leaf blade 2-5 times longer than wide, leaf more or less hairy.
- Ligule surrounded with a ring of hairs, auricles absent.
- Height: 50-150 cm. Plant tufted, glabrescent.
- Stem ascending, with shining and glabrous nodes.
- Leaves with a slightly hairy blade, overall near the ligule. Sheath dark-purple with anthocyans and usually glabrous.
- Inflorescence : panicle with thick peduncles, relatively stiff, erect and fascicled during a long time. Spikelets narrow, ovate, 2-3 mm long.
- Fruit : the spikelet falls entire when ripe and gives the basal seed.
- Biological type: annual.
Ecological profile (click on flags): Rare Present Present Rare