Unité de Malherbologie & Agronomie
Weed Science & Agronomy
Bayer Code : amivi
Synonym(s) of Sc. name: Daucus visnaga L.
Classification: Umbelliferae, Dicotyledonous
Common name: toothpick-plant
Synonym(s) of Common name:bishop's weed
Name per country: DE : Zahnstocher Ammei ; ES : viznaga ; FR : ammi visnage ; IT : visnaga comune ; PT : paliteira ; EN : toothpick-plant ;
Biological type: Annual, Biennial
- Cotyledons very narrow, oblong (15 times longer than wide).
- Leaves divided several times, pinnate.
- height: up to 100cm.Plant glabrous.
- Stem erect, branched towards the top.
- Leaves: all leaves with numerous finely divided linear segments with capillary vessels.
- Flowers white in umbel with numerous rays (up to 150) and tight with indented petals ; involucre with one, two, or several pinnatisect bracts with filiform strap.
- Fruits ovate -oblong 2-2.5 mm distinguished from A. majus because of slightly protruding sides.
- Risk of confusion with : Ammi majus (leaves resemble).
- Biological type : annual or biennial
Mistake with: Ammi majus
Ecological profile (click on flags): Present Rare Present